Advice / Transferring registration
03:13 PM | 31.08.2016 | Klosters
Transferring registration 31 August 2016 | Klosters

Transferring registration

Making sure you own your 2nd hand car


Transferring registration

Making sure you own your 2nd hand car

So you bought a second-hand car. Excellent! You want to enjoy it and hit the road, but first of all you have to take care of the details. Let us make it easier for you, so you can get out and about showing off those sweet new wheels.

When do I have to transfer the rego of my new car into my name?


Ok let’s not waste time. When you buy a car you have to transfer the registration into your name within 14 days. So get onto it!

How do I do it?


You can transfer your rego by heading into a registry or Service NSW Centre OR you can transfer your rego online.

However, you can’t transfer rego into an organisation’s name online. In that case, pop into a registry or Service NSW Centre and do it in person.

Doing It Online: Things to know


  • To transfer your rego online the person who sold you the car must have already lodged the Notice of Disposal {see below for details}
  • You need to have an online account with the RMS 
  • You will have to pay the transfer fee using a credit card

Doing it In Person: Things you need to know


If you’ve decided to transfer your rego in person at a registry or Service NSW Centre here’s how to do it:

How much is it going to cost me?


When you transfer rego into your name you have to pay the following:

  • Transfer Fee (effective 1 July 2015)
  • $32 if paid within 14 days of acquiring the vehicle.
  • $144 if paid after 14 days of acquiring the vehicle: $144

So it really is worth paying it sooner rather than later as you can see!

  • Stamp Duty

Stamp duty is based on the market value of the vehicle, or the price you paid, whichever is greater. Stamp duty is calculated at $3 per $100, or part, of the vehicle's value. Use the stamp duty calculator to work out what you will have to pay. And here’s some more info about Stamp Duty and exemptions

  • Motor Vehicle Tax

Motor vehicle tax for light vehicles is based on their weight. This table can help you estimate your motor vehicle tax

I sold my car to someone. Do I have to do anything?


If you’re the person who sold a car, this is what you have to do:

  • Give the person who bought your car a document that will help them prove they are now entitled to register the vehicle. This table will show you the kinds of documents that are acceptable. The most common one is the Notice of Disposal
  • Lodge your Notice of Disposal

It’s your responsibility to tell the RMS that you are no longer the owner of the vehicle by lodging the Notice of Disposal. It’s super easy and doesn’t cost you anything, and it will make sure you don’t get a nasty shock like a parking fine or infringement notice for a vehicle that you don’t own any more!

Protip: Make sure you get the details of the person who buys the car from you.  Get their name, date of birth, address and licence number. You’ll need them for your Notice of Disposal.

Now, that wasn’t too hard was it? So what are you waiting for? Get out there and show off your new ride. It’s all yours now!


Everything Automotive