Advice / Car Registration FAQ
02:57 PM | 31.08.2016 | Klosters
Car Registration FAQ 31 August 2016 | Klosters

Car Registration FAQ

Can I drive my car if it isn't registered - and other questions


Car Registration FAQ

Can I drive my car if it isn't registered - and other questions

Do I have to register my car for a whole year?


You can register your car for six or 12-month periods, however there are some conditions around shorter rego periods that you should be aware of.

  • You can only register your car for a six-month period if you do it within 21 days of the vehicle's registration expiry date.
  • If your car requires an eSafety Check - or pink slip  - you are required to get it before or on the date your 12-month registration is normally due. So basically you have to get one each year at the same time.
  • If you want to take out a six-month rego, you will need a six-month CTP to go with your registration. NOTE: You CANNOT register your car for six months if you have a 12-month CTP.
  • Three-month registrations are ONLY available for trailers and heavy vehicles, not light vehicles such as a passenger car.

Can I get a discount if I am a student/pensioner/on a health care card?


  • The only concessions available for vehicle registration in NSW are for eligible pensioners and primary producers. Students and health care card owners are not eligible for registration concessions. Visit this page to find out details about concessions.

Can I drive my car if it isn’t registered?


  • Driving an unregistered car on the road is illegal and dangerous. Don’t do it. The fines for driving an unregistered vehicle are significant, and if you have an accident you may be liable for the all of the damage, including the third party personal damages that are normally covered by your CTP.
  • There are a few very limited conditions when you may be able to drive an unregistered vehicle, and these are primarily to do with carrying out any business directly related to registering the car – such as driving it to a registry, service centre or Authorised Inspection Station, or to a garage to get the necessary repairs required to make your car roadworthy.

DID you know

A trip such as this made in an unregistered vehicle MUST be on the most convenient and direct route and if the police pull you over will be expected to prove that this is genuinely the reason for your journey. If your story doesn’t check out you may be fined, have your plates takenoff the vehicle or have the vehicle seized.  And don’t forget, a car that is unregistered for longer than 15 days can have the plates taken off by the police if it's parked on a road or public area.

So why not make life easy on everyone: organise your rego well in advance and don’t drive unregistered! Check out this page for more detail about unregistered vehicles

What happens if the eSafety Check Station fails me for my eSafety Check? Can I just go to another one until someone passes it?

When you fail your eSafety Check the person who did the check will lodge a ‘Repairs Need’ Report with the RMS. You have 14 days from this report to get your repairs done otherwise the report expires and you will need to get another eSafety check done. If you get the repairs done within the 14 days and return it to the Station that issued the report there is no further charge for the final eSafety Check.

You can try to get your car passed elsewhere but you will have to pay a new fee for this next eSafety Check. You can find more information about eSafety Checks and inspections here 

The second-hand car I bought is already registered. Do I have to do anything?

The registration for a second-hand car needs to be transferred over to you if you are the new owner of the vehicle. There is a transfer fee for doing this and it is much cheaper to do this within 14 days of the purchase. The person who sold you the car needs to fill in a Notice of Disposal form too so that you can finalise the transfer. Read our article all about transferring rego here



Everything Automotive